GIBICTS CENTER FOR COMMUNITY AND YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
Ghana holds a population of about 26 million persons. About 60% of these populations are in their youthful ages and mostly unemployed. John Yaw Amankrah, Assistant Chief Statistician and Head of Labour Statistics, Ghana Statistical Service argues in a 2012 CEPA briefing paper that “about 60 per cent of the unemployed in Ghana can be found in the 15-24 years age group. This makes Ghana’s youth unemployment rate one of the highest in the world.”
A number of factors account for the growing youth unemployment in Ghana. Historical evidence indicates that youth unemployment in Ghana is due to, a more than a threefold increase in the youthful population over the last 50 years, and on the other hand, failure of the economy to generate sufficient employment outlets. Also, the high rate of unemployment can be attributed to the country’s educational system, which tends to leave most graduates with unemployable skills during their basic, secondary and sometimes tertiary education. The core function of GCYD is to help mitigate such problems of the youth in Ghana.
To develop and build the capacity of the underprivileged youth through apprenticeship programs in the field of ICT, Agribusiness, and Vocational/Technical to promote self-employment and other forms of employment. This is hopefully to reduce youth unemployment and the rate of poverty in Ghana and Africa as a whole.
To create a platform for unearthing the innate potentials of the individual as well as giving the individual the opportunity of becoming the best of him or herself.
Respect for one another, dignity, trust, integrity and commitment to service.
• To develop optimism as a philosophy of life among the youth
• To empower and build the capacity of the youth to enhance employability of unemployed young people by providing trainings in the field of ICT, Agriculture and other apprenticeship training programs to improve vocational and technical skills, employment services and by promoting entrepreneurship
• To help reduce the rate of youth unemployment in Ghana
• To create interest of the youth in the field of Agriculture, Vocational/Technical Skills and Information Technology as a means of facing the world’s challenges.
• To aid and encourage the development of youth, in the belief that the giving of one’s self in service to others will advance the well-being of humankind, community life and the world.